- 27 years of coding experience
- AHIMIA – Certified as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- AHIMIA – Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- AAPC – Certified as a Certified Risk Adjustment Coder (CRC)
- AAPC – Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- AAPC – Certified Professional Coding Instructor (CPC-I)
- Master of Education (MEd) in Instructional Design for Online Learners
- Master of Health Information Technology (MHIT)
- Bachelor of Health Information Management (BHIM)
Gayle Haas is a Coding/Auditing expert at SunHawk Consulting, LLC. Ms. Haas is certified by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) as a certified professional coder (CPC), and certified professional coder instructor (CPC-I), as well as a Certified risk adjustment coder (CRC). Gayle also holds certifications from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) as a Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) and a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). She holds a master’s degree in education (MEd) in instructional design for online learners from Capella University (CU) and a master’s degree in health information technology (MHIT) from Louisiana Technical University (LTU), as well as a bachelor’s degree in health information management (BHIM) from Davenport University (DU).
Gayle is an online, part-time, adjunct professor at Bryant & Stratton College (BSC) in NY and teaches Information technology, Microsoft Office apps, and medical coding. She is experienced and proficient with multiple electronic health record (EHR) software programs and multiple technologies.
Ms. Haas was recently employed by United Health Group/Optum as a senior instructional designer and senior documentation and coding integrity educator. Her role included curriculum design, along with presentation of educational materials for providers and coders related to the Medicare Risk Adjustment (MRA) reimbursement model. She was also responsible for education related to clinical documentation improvement activities. As a provider educator for Humana, Gayle was responsible for educating providers on MRA, Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS) including the STARS rating system and the Triple Aim approach (Care, Health and Cost). She was also an auditing coder specialist for the MRA program at Humana.
Gayle performed remote coding of ICD, CPT, and HCPCS for 8 hospitals across 4 different states for same day surgery services, interventional cardiology services, observation services and critical access inpatient services.
She has functioned as a supervisor of coding and utilization review (UR) for a Critical Access Hospital for 8 years. Gayle also reported new and existing cancers diagnosed and/or treated in the hospital as a Cancer Registrar to collect and consolidate data on cancers diagnosed and/or treated which are reported to the state, which is mandated by law.
In her spare time, Gayle loves genealogy, playing with her dog and spending time with her family sightseeing around Florida.
"SunHawk was an outstanding partner in the provision of interim leadership in compliance and internal audit for our organization. They provided seamless coverage and advancement of our compliance and internal audit functions. As CEO, I had no concerns or worries during our engagement. They were true partners for us!"
Alfred E. Pilong
President and CEO
"James and the SunHawk team have been an invaluable resource for our Compliance Office - they are a reliable, well experienced, trusted and knowledgeable team of professionals who at a moment’s notice will take your calls or respond to your emails.
Their advice helped us navigate the ever evolving, highly regulated healthcare industry! Whether it’s discussing report methodology or determining appropriate repayment, SunHawk provides the reassurance and confidence that you are doing the right thing!
We are honored to have partnered with SunHawk and will continue to do so in the future!"
Vice President/Chief Ethics, Compliance and Privacy Officer
Community Health System
"SunHawk’s professionals are leaders in the compliance and risk industries. Over the years I have worked with a number of their professionals on a series of projects/issues and learned SunHawk’s professionals are problem/solution-oriented and great coalition builders.
SunHawk Professionals get the job done and are a pleasure to work with. Commitment, Experience, Professionalism, and Integrity; that's what SunHawk Professionals brings to the table."
Vice President/Chief Ethics, Compliance and Privacy Officer
Phoenix Children's Hospital
"Jim Rough is among the most conscientious professionals I have encountered. When he says he is going to do something -- he does it. Jim has a broad range of experience gained over decades in leading organizations.
Now as the founder of his own firm, Jim will be enabled to provide the same high-quality service to his clients in a setting that allows greater customization to his clients' financial circumstances."
Frank M. Placenti
Chair, US Corporate Governance & Securities Regulation
Practice, Squire Patton Boggs
"SunHawk Consulting's HIPAA Check Program provided us with an invaluable third-party review of our HIPAA policies and practices. The tracking tool SunHawk includes with the Program has become an integral part of our continued monitoring for HIPAA compliance.
Jan Elezian's extensive hands-on compliance experience was evident during site visits and staff interviews as she translated difficult subject matter into practical use scenarios and provided quality feedback. Thank you SunHawk team!"
Vice President, Compliance
Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc.
"SunHawk provides an array of dynamic professionals, each with significant subject matter expertise and a problem-solver approach. Beyond their knowledge and conscientious work ethic, however, is a team of caring individuals who strive to furnish individualized, tailored assistance with a personal touch.
Jim Rough's dedication to the success of SunHawk clients is evidenced by his strategic and prospective thinking complemented by his ability to truly anticipate the needs of a company in the midst of the complicated compliance climate. I highly recommend SunHawk for companies of any size seeking actionable solutions and measurable results."
Vice President and Chief Compliance Officer
Paragon 28, Inc.
“Sunhawk Consulting has proven to be a trusted partner with the ability to deliver results. We have consistently been impressed with their expertise, professionalism, and commitment to customer service. Sunhawk Consulting has supported our enterprise-wide risk assessment, risk management activities, and the configuration of our Governance, Risk and Compliance software tool.
Sunhawk Consulting’s leadership and consultative services have helped us to successfully navigate through the complexities of SOC, HIPAA, NIST and FedRAMP audits this year. The knowledgeable team of Sunhawk professionals has been and continues to be an invaluable resource for us, ensuring we are positioned for success in all our audits and assessment activities.”
Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
Get In Touch
2550 E Rose Garden Ln.
Phoenix, AZ 85050
Sign up for Our Newsletter
Your information is private and will NEVER be shared outside of SunHawk Consulting.
SunHawk Consulting specializes in professional consulting services and has a team of highly skilled subject matter experts with substantial backgrounds in:
* Healthcare Compliance: Statistical Sampling, Medical Coding Audits, Healthcare Compliance Programs, Evaluation of Compliance Programs and Risk Assessments, HIPAA Compliance Risk Assessments & Training, Corporate Integrity Agreement (CIA) Board Advisor, Independent Review Organization (IRO) Services, Interim Healthcare Compliance Support, Physical Security Assessment, Design and Implementation of Sunshine Act Compliance Programs, Enterprise Risk Management Optimization, Governance, Risk and Compliance (GRC) System Support, Electronic Health Record (EHR) System Implementation, Outsourced Audit Function Support, Medical Risk Adjustment Compliance (Medicare, Medicaid, Commercial), Policy, Procedure, Internal Control Development and Evaluation, FedRAMP Compliance;
* Corporate Investigations: Fraud Investigations and Forensic Accounting, Anti-money Laundering (AML), Bank Secrecy Act (BSA), Know Your Customer (KYC), Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Third-party Due Diligence;
* Corporate Compliance: Evaluation and Design of Corporate Compliance Programs, Interim Compliance Support, Compliance Risk Assessments, Physical Security Assessment, Enterprise Risk Management, Private Equity Governance, GRC System Support, Audit Function Support, Fraud Risk Assessments, Investigations Program Assessment and Enhancements, Qui Tam Investigations, Hot Line Support;
* Litigation Disputes: Complex Litigation and Disputes, Mergers and Acquisitions: Regulatory Due Diligence, Expert Witness, Statistical Analysis, Healthcare Payment Disputes, Litigation Support, Physical Security Assessment, Neutral Party Data Analysis.